During last few months, VAROD had several organized programmes, among which some of the main events are:
– A Walk for Differently-Abled: A rally to conscientise the public about the Rights of the Differently-Abled Person had been organized by all the organizations of the Northern Province that are working for differently-abled persons. It took place in Jaffna town on the 8th of July, 2018, and around 50 members of the Community Based Rehabilitation group of VAROD attended the event.
– Catch-Up Class Student Gathering: 173 students from 14 centers participated in the seminar that VAROD organized to help get them equipped with learning methods. This was held on the 24th of September, 2018. Fr. Jeyaseelan, CMF and Mr. Uthayakumar conducted the programmes under different themes.
– Visually Handicapped Awareness Programme: Commemorating International White Cane Day, on the 11th of October, 2018, several programmes were organized in and around Vavuniya town. Input sessions on: care of the eye, the responsibility of the public towards the visually handicapped, the rights of visually handicapped persons, and registration of eye donors were the highlights of the day.
– Super-Singer 2018: On the 27th of July and the 16th of September, VAROD and Kuberaga jointly organized a singing competition for the differently-abled persons. Twenty-six competitors participated, and winners were awarded, while all the participants were also given prizes.
– Mental Health Day: Staff members of our centers and CBR attended a seminar organized by the mental health society, General Hospital, and the Psychological Forum of Vavuniya. It was held on the 11th of September, 2018 at the urban council cultural hall. An awareness of mental health was imparted at the programme.
– International Day for Disabled: VAROD celebrated International Disable Day on December 1st, 2018 jointly with the organization for the disabled of the Northern Province. Various programmes were conducted at the cultural hall, Vavuniya. Prizes were also offered for the winners of different competitions held previously. Many dignitaries attended the programme and new insights on ways to safeguard the disabled persons were shared.